Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Professional Email

In the last few years you have written countless "Friendly Letters" in school. I am here to tell you that I have honestly never, being a 23 year old, written a "Friendly Letter" in  my real life. I grew up just as you are writing them in school, but that is where it ended.

On the other hand, do you know what I do write? EMAILS. In my professional life I email principals, and other teachers. When I was interviewing and looking for jobs I wrote emails to the people who would be interviewing me. Don't you think you should know HOW to write a professional email? That is why, instead of writing your writing performance event as a letter (who writes letters?) you will be writing an email! You can write the email to any local or state government official that you think has the ability to pass or influence laws about your subject.

Here are the 6 steps to writing an email:
1.    Specific subject matter to alert the purpose (written in the subject line)
2.    A greeting where the recipients name is correctly spelled.
3.    A nicety to begin the body of the email; how are you can go a long way to start a pleasant conversation.
4.    Specificity in their request.  Not just “I need help,” but instead “I need help with…” and also including when they are available and would like to meet.
5.    A wrap up sentence thanking for help or time.
6.    An ending with their own name attached.
      By Pernilles Ripp  (see, I gave CREDIT)

Plus, a little reminder- even though it is an email, I am still an English teacher....soooooo
english teacher meme - Google Search:


No comments:

Post a Comment